Skip to content

Bad News first?

I have bad news and good news. I feel like getting the bad news out of the way firts. To explain I have to go back to the beginning of the week. In my last post I noted how well the training is going. My Mt Rite Aid run was the fastest that I have on record. That includes runs going all the way back to 2009. The significance of 2009, is that it was in 2009 and 2010 that I set most of my PRs!

Tuesday, I ran with the Hillview kids doing a typical interval workout. We ran, 3,2,1,3,2,1,3,2,1.  The last couple of weeks, during our interval workouts, I have been worrying a bit about the speed of my kids. On a typical interval I am about 5th to 8th place. Compared to previous years that is unusually high. None of the girls have been consistently finishing ahead of me. We finished the first two 3 minute, 2 minute, 1 minute sets and then Coach Briggs joined in on the third. Jake Briggs is much younger, maybe 30, and he ran cross country in high school. His top end speed is definitely higher than mine, when he is in shape. He has not run much lately however.

So, Jake takes of on the third 3 minute interval. It took me about a minute to reel him in and then we ran shoulder to shoulder. In the third minute I pulled a few strides ahead. After our recovery we started interval number two. We were again cruising side by side, when I got bold and daring. I wondered if I could go faster. So I did. I found another gear and pulled away. As we started the next and final interval I noted that my right achilles area had tightened up, so I went much more slowly.

I headed over to Clay’s for the Clayve workout, and while I could feel the tightness the leg cooperated and I had a good workout.

Wednesday, I ran a 2 mile recovery run. I still felt a bit tight but the run went okay.

Thursday morning I met Clay at Hillview for a tempo workout. The plan was 3 x 2 miles. We were going to run my 2 mile time trial route I have been running with the kids. We started off okay and I felt going going down the blvd. Going down Towncenter, as we neared a mile I felt the Achilles start to really tighten. I had to slow a bit. i did the mile right at 7 minutes. Turning onto Bolz Ranch Road, Clay was pulling farther and farther ahead. The Achilles seemed manageable. I tried to speed back up a bit. The Achilles shut me down.

It is a sad day when you have to walk the last 3/4 mile of your interval. I tried to resume running a few times but I could not. I was not even able to walk without a limp the rest of the day. This seems a lot like the same thing I had back in January. (Click Here)  The description of the January pain was the left calf. This is the right, and I am describing it as Achilles in that it is at the very bottom of the calf maybe a few inches above my ankle on the very back of the leg… The good news about that January one is that the calf healed very quickly. Lets just hope that this calf episode does not lead to knee pain like the last one did.

So, today I can almost walk without limping… Almost. I am off a few days (I Hope)

2 replies »

  1. Sorry to hear the bad news, not a good sign that you are still limping while walking. When I pulled my hamstring it wasn’t that bad until I decided to “race easy” the following week. THAT did me in for 7 months. We have to start listening better in our old age. When the body talks to you take a week or two off from running hard. I am cancelling my intervals this weekend as my achilles are both sore from Thursday. ICE, REST, ELEVATE, ANKLE ROM hope you are well enough to bike the 50K next Sat.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

September 2013


%d bloggers like this: