First thing of the new year was yet another HDR hangover run.
I did the 7.5 mile run at a 10:27 pace. Looking back at other attempts on this run that is my 3rd fastest pace…. and I was not trying to push the pace at all… I started with Dave Weary, but after the freeway he trailed behind. I got to the top, waited a few minutes, and headed back down. The HDR crew had a great time hanging out and chatting thereafter.
My plans for 2017 call for:
- To run/ride 2017 ReQ…. This is a metric I made up called running equivalents. I do not expect to return to the 2000+ running miles of a few years ago. But as I integrate the Elliptigo into my program I should make up the difference. The formula for ReQs is that running miles count 1:1, Elliptigo miles count 2:1 (each GO mile counts for 1/2) and other cycling miles count 4:1.
- A Boston Qualifying marathon. I am either going to attempt it at the Mt Charleston Marathon outside of Las Vegas (uber downhill) in late April or at the Mountains 2 Beach in Ojai at the end of May. If I fail I will have the option of training for a late summer marathon such as Santa Rosa.
- To lose weight. I have been hovering in the low 180s and that needs to be down into the 160s by the time I do my BQ attempt.
- To do 10,000 each: push ups, dips, plank ups and squats. This works out to 50 in a day on 200 different days in the year. I read an article that specified these four exercises as the four most needed for runners. Clay – feel free to make a suggested addition. I still plan on attending the Clayve 1 or 2 times each week, but this will maintain some strength in between. I was considering adding pull ups, (band assisted) but I am not sure if that would be too many.
- To train for my BQ, I am going to focus primarily on losing weight and rebuilding my endurance base. My BQ time would be 3:40 so an 8:15 pace would give me a few minutes cushion. My average pace on long runs is already in the 8:30 range so speed should not be a major issue. My plan calls for most of my long runs on trails. To build some speed endurance I will enter a number of trail and road 10ks and Half Marathons. If I choose to wait for Ojai, I would run the Leona Divide 30K….I have already submitted my entry to the Pacific Half Marathon in Agoura Hills and the Wings for Life World run. Last year I ran more than 16 miles at an 8:09 pace at this race. It would be 3 weeks prior to Ojai…. If I do Mt Charleston it becomes an afterthought – the following week.
The links in the header up above will take you to my training plan. It is labeled Run n Go. The page labeled 2017 shows the event plans and results as the year progresses as well as monthly totals.